Sunday, August 10, 2008

Inquiring Minds...They Want to Know!!!


As many parents of internationally adoptive kids can probably attest to.....after a while, you really just aren't aware any more that your adoptive child looks different than you...they are your child, beautiful, and feel like your own. It's because of my comfort with my daughter that I can be so caught off-guard when people question me re: her heritage, parentage, or whatever else that they might be curious about. Those questions didn't bother me a couple of years ago...I was still so caught up in what I had managed to accomplish (hoops, "the wait", travel, red tape, etc.) and I was pleased to share all the gore. Now...I can see those inquiring gazes travel our way, and I really try to divert the directness of questions with "why do you ask?" Problem is, I'm just NO GOOD at it, and I'm afraid that one of these days, TB feeling are gonna get stomped on. I'd like learn to be a better parent, and be better equipped at handling the questions/comments that come our way.

3 comments:

lisa said...

I was so excited to see you got going on your blog!!!! Yeah! TB is gorgeous!!!

I might have to steal your song...it's perfect!!

Lisa

McMary said...

Your daughter is gorgeous and absolutely yours!
thanks for the kind words on my blog.

tiglilygirl said...

Your daughter is so beautiful, I look forward to following your blog! I can completely relate to what you are saying concerning her not being anything other than your daughter, and it is hard to field questions when other people make it seem differently, although I am still in the process of adopting my siblings are all adopted and I have had to deal with these questions my whole life, they were/are always just my brothers and sister, and then people would walk up to them and say "where are you from?" I would would instantly say "oh we are from Iowa" or something like that, but that wasn't really what they were asking. Don't worry you aren't alone in your frustrations, but it is very good that you see her only as your daughter that is the greatest gift you can give her!!